Thursday, September 27, 2018

Transitions


I have been asked to the Associate Lodge Advisor for the American Indian Program within Mikanakawa Lodge.  This is a huge deal for me, personally.  There are a lot of reasons why.  I have a great deal of knowledge of Native Culture, OA Culture, OA Ceremonies, friends on the National Committee and in other lodges across the nation.  I have been a dancer for 37+ years.  I began doing OA ceremonies when I was 14, though I had participated with troop ceremonies before that.  I have been a ceremonies coach for decades.  I have been an advocate for involvement in the Native Community for almost as long.  And I have been and continue to be a student of Native history from a material culture perspective and from a non-material cultural context as well. 

But, something just occurred to me today (7/19/18).  I am also an advocate for girls.  You see, I have three daughters and no boys.  I have been an advocate for young women since before I was an adult, myself.  Without going into details, many of the young women I knew growing up had been abused, neglected, assaulted, or dealt with issues that young men never have to face.  And in some cases it was those very same young men who were the problem.  But, not all of us men are bad.  Most, I think, when faced with decisions related to the safety of women will choose a ‘chivalrous’ approach and try their best to be helpful and accommodating, even though not fully understanding the situation.  But, I digress. 

I am an advocate for young women.  Not just my daughters, either.  All women.

And an announcement happened earlier this year, letting us know that the BSA was going to allow girls into its formerly boys-only programs.  Then, another announcement said that girls who were already in Venturing programs who met the requirements would be eligible for election into the Order of the Arrow on Feb 1, 2019. 

This means that girls will be allowed into a previously male-centric organization.  There are adult women in the program, already.  And they are some of the best leaders and trainers and educators I have ever run across, too.  But, this means we have months to adapt our programs from male-centric to uni-sex/omni-sex/a-sex, etc.

Of course, the first thought many OA member had is ‘what about our (previously performed by all young male) ceremonies?’  But my first thought was, “Woohoo! Female dance contests at NOAC and Section Conclaves starting in 2020!”  And then my next thought was, “Yeah, what about our ceremonies?”  

It only took a little introspection to realize our ceremonies are not written from a male-only perspective.  Each of the characters portrayed by only males in the past are not specifically men.  They aren’t specifically women either.  Though some of the characters referenced are male, those characters are based on stories emboldened and adapted by James Fenimore Cooper – this is not a secret or surprise. 

The main players in our ceremonies are based on archetypes of a guide, a guard, a wise-person or healer, and a leader or chief.  Many tribes were and are matriarchal, meaning that ownership and leadership were female-only.  Truthfully, other tribes were male-dominated, and yet others appear to have allowed either.  But, historically and even in the 20th and 21st centuries - in modern times - leaders of these individual tribes have been male AND female.  Wilma Mankiller served as the Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation from 1985 to 1995.  Bettie Mae Jumper was elected the first, and so far only, Chief of the Seminole Tribe of Florida, an office she held until 1971. There are so many other examples, too.  Woman Chief of the Crow tribe, Queen Alliquippa of the Seneca, Molly Brant of the Mohawk, Virginia Klinekole who served the Mescallero Apache tribe for nearly 30 years, including being the first woman President, Matoaka (aka, Pocahontas) of the Powhatan Confederacy, Sacagawea of the Lemhi Shoshone, and so many other examples of powerful Native women leading or guiding others.

It stands to reason that young ladies could play a role in our ceremonies just as easily as young dudes already do.  But, how do we accomplish the act of a young lady portraying one of the principal roles in our ceremonies? 

Immediately I see one thing happening – they put on the outfits that are already in use by the various lodges and chapters.  Yes, for the most part those are male clothes.  But, they are actors performing a role, and male actors have been playing female roles since time immemorial.  The Greeks did it, Shakespeare did it – there’s a movie about a woman pretending to be a man, so she can act in a role on stage as a woman.  Why can’t we?

We do have to make some additional preparations, though.  Girls and boys cannot change in the same areas first off -  Guide to Safe Scouting, Youth Protection, etc.  A couple of accommodations need to be made, obviously. The first, most obvious idea would be a requirement that ceremonialists/actors have suitable garments for wear under the ceremonial outfits already in place.  If the actor knows they will be performing, they can change in a restroom, tent or other private facility beforehand.  In this manner, if they take off their uniform prior to changing into ceremony gear, they are not being exposed in any way.  Secondly, a portable changing room/closet/shower can be added to the ceremonies gear.  These items seem to cost approximately $50 and are able to accommodate someone up to 6’2” standing completely upright.  There are so many varieties that can be found, it doesn’t require description.  This helps in multiple ways – anyone can use them, male or female, tall or short (some are large enough to put a chair inside to make changing that much easier).  Thirdly, a 10’x10’ popup with sidewalls or a tent can be put up for the purpose of the changing room.  Popups with sidewalls can have lodge names or scenery painted on them to reinforce the ceremonial aspect.

I forsee young ladies insisting on clothing appropriate to their gender – buckskin dresses, wool dresses, etc., as soon as possible  Of course, they need to be appropriate to the time-period and tribe chosen by the Lodge.  Any Lodge choosing a tribe from the 1500s is being unreasonable in expectation - their actors would be clad only in feathers or loincloths and not much else.  So, ignoring that, lodges and chapters should choose tribes and time periods more appropriate to guidelines set forth in the appropriate BSA guides.  No nudity, even partial, ever.  Period.  Don’t even think about it.  That means no bare chests for boys, legs should be covered by leggings and aprons (or dresses).  But, the daily wear and special outfits of most tribes have been heavily documented, even the ladies outfits.  So, this endeavor should not be more or less difficult than making an authentic shirt or leggings. 

However, throughout all this deliberating and contemplating, one reason became clear why I was chosen for this ALA AIA position in our lodge.  I am a father of daughters.  Their protection and safety are foremost in my mind at all times, and by extension the safety of all young ladies.  I look for threats subconsciously now.  I have since my children were infants, it’s ingrained in me.  And because I am an advocate for women, I can help better guide the transition of this Lodge into the next phase of its involvement in the Scouting movement.  I can help guide a plan of tasks that make the transition minimally invasive, and completely inclusive.  Not only do I know a lot about Native Culture and OA Culture, but I have made outfits for ladies, young and not-so-young, have researched aspects of the tribal histories and costuming, and I know a thing or two about raising daughters. 

At first, I was impressed that I was selected.  I’ve been doing this sort of stuff for a long time already, but being the Associate Lodge Advisor wasn’t on my radar – I’ve been content advising ceremonies, dance, and singing and helping educate boys and adults from my position as Dance Team Advisor and Associate Chapter Advisor.  I’ve never felt that a good leader in a role like that needed to know much about the American Indian Programs, as long as they selected other leaders who did – and delegated that authority appropriately.  Your Dance Team, Singing Team, Ceremonies Team Leads need advisors adept at the various ins and outs of those programs certainly.  But, they report to the Vice Chief and ALA, who help guide and grow all the programs.  But, in hindsight I believe our Lodge’s adult leadership – the Lodge Advisor and the Staff Advisor – chose me not just for my knowledge of ceremonies and dance.  But, also for my advocacy of women.

This will be an exciting year!

No comments:

Post a Comment